Masonic Glasgow | Loch Lomond Wedding Venue | Function Rooms

About The Bonhill & Alexandria Masonic Temple

Lodge Bonhill and Alexandria St. Andrews Royal Arch Number 321 received its charter in February of 1826. An important element in creating the lodge was that the nearest lodge to Bonhill was in Renton on the other side of the river Leven and a few miles downriver. The river was a fast flowing one and the ferry crossing to Alexandria was a risky way of crossing.

During its time in Bonhill the lodge met in various local premises, frequently hostelries. In due course a bridge was built to replace the ferry and eventually the lodge got premises in the town hall building which is just on the Alexandria side of the bridge. Thus the lodge name now includes both Bonhill and Alexandria. The lodge moved to its current premises in 1921 when the Ewing Gilmour Institute for girls became available. The building had been erected in the period around 1890 at a cost of about 12,000. The lodge got it for 4,000, thanks to the efforts of our members of the time.

During WW2 the War Department took over the building for a short while then returned it to the lodge. It was used after the Clydebank blitz to provide accommodation for some of those bombed out of their houses.

During the time from the late 1970s the basement was extensively developed to create a social club with a variety of facilities. The above notes only give a very brief account of the lodge but further information is available from

Find Us

Bonhill & Alexandria Masonic Temple
Gilmour Street

Call Us

01389 830623

E-mail Us

Opening Hours

Wednesday     Closed
Thursday7:00pm - 12:00am
Friday7:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday7:00pm - 12:00am


PDF Office Bearers
PDF Syllabus
PDF Right Worshipful Master Bio